Thursday, September 25, 2008

Tucson Park(ing) Day


PARK(ing) Day is a global event that focuses on urban green space. Artists and citizens collaborate by transforming selected city parking spots into bite-sized temporary public parks.
It's a creative, great one-day event celebrating place-making.
Tucson participated this year, and there was amazing foot-traffic downtown! Families with strollers, photographers, even shoppers. City informational kiosks set up out on the streets. Gardeners. People talking, crafting, browsing. Nice. Why can't this happen every day?

1 comment:

stevesurf said...

"George: Alright, start looking for spaces.

Elaine: Oh, you're never gonna find a space on Jerry's block, just put it in a
garage.

George: Look, I have my system. First I look for the dream spot right in front
of the door, then I slowly expand out in concentric circles.

Elaine: Oh come on, George, please put it in a garage. I don't want to spend
an hour looking for a space.

George: I can't park in a garage.

Elaine: Why?

George: I don't know, I just can't. Nobody in my family can pay for parking,
it's a sickness. My father never paid for parking; my mother, my brother,
nobody. We can't do it.

Elaine: I'll pay for it.

George: You don't understand. A garage. I can't even pull in there. It's
like going to a prostitute. Why should I pay, when if I apply myself, maybe I
could get it for free? (he hears a horn honking) What? What do you want? Go
around me, I'm looking for spaces.

Elaine (pointing backwards): Oh George, there's a space right there!

George (putting the car in reverse): Oh beautiful! Look at that, the dream
space right in front of Jerry's building. Huh? Dreams can come true, what did
I tell you?"

I love your idea of holding a parking spot, Monica, I'm going to need one of those when I move to Brooklyn :)