Saturday, February 21, 2009

Tiger, Make Room for the Horses

Apologies to Tiger Woods, whom I salute for giving Tucson huge recognition and economic stimulus this week via the PGA Tour. While you're out there on the green of Dove Mountain, I'll be focused on a dusty corral in downtown Tucson, rooting for the old-fashioned-yet-oh-so-fabulous Fiesta de Los Vaqueros and our annual rodeo.

Ranching is in Tucson's blood. It's what started our economy and gave us our destiny after the Spaniards brought their cattle to our environs in the 1600s. The rodeo, begun in Tucson in 1925 to celebrate the cowboy, is a part of ranching life and thus entwined in Tucson's heritage. With Accenture Match Play packing in the glam and the tourists up in Marana, I worry that my poor cowboys won't get their due.

Those guys in spurs and buckles need attention too, Tiger. I certainly wish you many awe-inspiring plays next week, but in my heart I'll be crying yee-haw for the cowpokes and their horses and their barrel racing downtown.

May both the slick (Tiger) and the down-home snazzy (cowboys) stand tall and grow as proud traditions of the Old Pueblo.

No comments: